Dropping .zip archhive for mahout 0.13.0 binary artufact builds
Andrew Musselman
2017-01-23 21:56:31 UTC
I'm not sure what .zip files offer that tarballs don't, aside from
potential non-supported OS support, sounds fine to me.
It seems redundant to include botha *.zip and a *.tar.gz build for each
binary distribution build. I propose that we drop the .zip archive and
ship only .tar.gz builds with the 0.13.0 distro. Other projects do this,
eg. Spark and Zeppelin. So there is precedent. If we did this, the
basic jvm-only build (no native modules included)
apache-mahout-0.13.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz: GPU/OpenMP
build for Linux x86_64 (intel and amd)
apache-mahout-0.13.0-linux-x86_64-avx2.tar.gz: GPU/OpenMP build
for Linux x86_64
with AVX2 instruction sets (Intel haswell and > though there is
also an
AVX-512 which is newer, but I think that for now we can allow
people to build from src for that)
apache-mahout-0.13.0-mac_os.tar.gz: OpenMP
only for mac
Thoughts?