Hadoop 1 Support Going forward
Suneel Marthi
2016-05-26 01:25:07 UTC
This is something we wanted to address at the time of 0.10.0 release in
April 2015, but we chose to retain Hadoop 1 support due to customers that
were still running hadoop 1.

I would vote to stop hadoop 1 support, get rid of the botched hadoop 1
jenkins builds and one less thing to worry about while we have bigger fish
to fry.
What are people feeling about continuing supporting Hadoop 1 going
forward? Currently I don't believe that there Is a reason not to, aside
from regular Jenkins hiccups and some minor addition to the complexity of
the example scripts.
I do believe though that we've discussed dropping the Hadoop 1 profile and
am wondering where people are at with that.
Thanks
Andy
Isabel Drost-Fromm
2016-05-26 08:20:08 UTC
Currently I don't believe that there Is a reason not to, aside from regular Jenkins hiccups and some minor addition to the complexity of the example script
I think there are two questions we should be asking ourselves here:

If tomorrow someone comes along and asks us to fix a major bug/security issue,
is there someone within our community who has enough insight to be able to do
that?

Assuming we aren't making any modifications to this part of the code base
anyway, what is the advantage for downstream users to keep that code around in
newer versions as opposed to using an older release of Mahout? E.g. do they
automatically benefit from performance improvements made elsewhere?

Isabel
Dmitriy Lyubimov
2016-05-26 23:39:50 UTC
I think this is not an issue of our choice, but an issue of capability. As
far as i have witnessed during past 2 years, capability to do anything with
MR is at the very least lacking on the grandest of scales, if not
completely gone from this project.
I would also suggest that we should try to find out if there is anybody
actually using Hadoop 1 with Mahout.
Isabel
Suneel Marthi
2016-05-27 20:26:28 UTC
Go ahead and start purging the code. No need to call for a vote and waste
people's time here that could be better utilized elsewhere.