Contributing to Apache Mahout via Google Summer of Code 2017
Aditya
2017-02-20 07:26:44 UTC
Hello everyone!

I'm a senior year computer science student from Birla Institute of
Technology and Science, India. I have experience in fields like Data Mining
and Machine Learning. Apart from doing basic coursework which included Data
Mining, Parallel Computing, and Machine Learning I have also worked on
research projects where we worked on building scalable DBSCAN like
clustering algorithms.

I have gone through the Apache Mahout website and was wondering if I could
contribute to Mahout in terms of algorithm development/improvising existing
algorithms.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with a starting point, from
where I can pick up and understand the Mahout ecosystem. I have no previous
experience in working with Apache Mahout or Spark but I have worked with
the Map reduce model before (but haven't used Hadoop)

I wish to work full time during summer and take part in the Google Summer
of Code 2017 program by contributing to Apache Mahout.

Cheers!
Aditya
Aditya
2017-02-22 22:23:41 UTC
Hello everyone!

I'm a senior year computer science student from Birla Institute of
Technology and Science, India. I have experience in fields like Data Mining
and Machine Learning. Apart from doing basic coursework which included Data
Mining, Parallel Computing, and Machine Learning I have also worked on
research projects where I worked on building scalable DBSCAN like
clustering algorithms.

I have gone through the Apache Mahout website and was wondering if I
could *contribute
to Mahout in terms of algorithm **development / improvising existing
algorithms.*

I would be grateful if you could provide me with a starting point, from
where I can pick up and understand the Mahout ecosystem. I have no previous
experience in working with Apache Mahout or Spark but I have worked with
the Map reduce model before (but haven't used Hadoop)

I wish to work full time during summer and take part in the Google Summer
of Code 2017 program by contributing to Apache Mahout.

Awaiting your replies!

Cheers!
Aditya
Trevor Grant
2017-02-23 13:27:22 UTC
Hey Aditya-

First of all, welcome to the community. We'd love to have you help
contribute.

The new algorithms framework is certainly a 'target rich environment'.

Since you already are familiar with DBSCAN, why not start there?

If you check out:
https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/master/math-scala/src/main/scala/org/apache/mahout/math/algorithms

You'll see in general what our framework looks like..

You'll need to create a ClassificationModel trait similar to:
https://github.com/apache/mahout/blob/master/math-scala/src/main/scala/org/apache/mahout/math/algorithms/regression/RegressorModel.scala

Then you'll extend the the ClassificationModel with DBSCAN (or possibly
some intermediate trait, as LinearRegressionModel does before OLS).

Perhaps I should have started by asking- how well do you know scala?

Anyway, those are good places to get started! Let me know if I can help.

tg

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things." -Virgil*
Aditya
Aditya
2017-02-25 09:36:13 UTC
Hello Trevor,

I have gone through the two links that you sent me. Although I am not
familiar with scala, I was able to figure out that the files Fitter.scala,
Model.scala, UnsupervisedFitter.scala contain traits (which are similar to
interfaces in Java) and the LinearRegressionModel.scala contains the core
code for regression. I wasn't able to understand specific syntactic terms
like *trait LinearRegressionModel[K] extends RegressionModel[K]*, what is K
here?

With respect to my knowledge in Scala, I've never had the opportunity to
learn / work in Scala but I got a sense that it's model is similar to that
of Java. Having worked in Java, I could see some basic similarities in both
the languages' models. I've read that Scala is a language where OOP meets
the functional paradigm.

Also, Could you let me know where I could find the list of algorithms that
Mahout implements along with its documentation and what algorithms are
planned to be implemented soon?
The main web page just lists down the names.

Thanks,
Aditya
Aditya
Aditya
2017-02-25 09:42:35 UTC
Hello again! Trevor,

I maybe a bit late in asking this but I just wanted to confirm Apache
Software Foundation's participation in the Google Summer of Code '17. I am
aware that the results of the organizations are not out, but just wanted to
know if ASF has applied for participation.

Thanks,
Aditya
Aditya
Trevor Grant
2017-02-25 23:33:04 UTC
You are correct, Java and Scala are very similar. In fact you can import
Java into scala (and theoretically the other way around too).

Documentation... yea- that would be great... I'm trying to get the website
migrated from CMS (current system) to a Jekyll based system similar to
Zeppelin or Flink... in the mean time, everyone I think is kind of
standing-by on writing new docs. Including me.

The only named algorithm in the road map right now is GLM- talk to Saikat
and Jim I think are taking a crack at that.

You are free (and encouraged) to implement algorithms you already
understand well.

As far as ASF in GSoC, candidly I don't know for sure. I'm not super
familiar with that initiative. You could ask on ***@community.apache.org -
I remember seeing some chatter over there.

best,

Aditya
Aditya
2017-02-28 07:54:54 UTC
Hello Trevor,

Apache Software Foundation has been accepted as a mentoring organization in
GSOC '17. Congratulations on that!

When you mentioned GLM, I hope you were referring to the Issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1941 ? I will get in touch
with Saikat through the mailing list.

Also, I've been giving some thought of implementing a new algorithm. I am
familiar with most Data Mining algorithms (Apriori, Decision Tree, Various
types of clustering algorithms) as well as basic Machine Learning
algorithms like Regression, Neural Networks.

A clarification in regard to new algorithm development. Is there a plan for
incorporating new algorithms (other than Generalized Linear Model) in the
near future. Or any improvements / optimizations to existing algorithms?

Regards,
Aditya
Post by Aditya
and Machine Learning. Apart from doing basic coursework which
included
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Data
Post by Aditya
Aditya
Andrew Musselman
2017-02-28 17:21:00 UTC
Aditya, thanks for offering to help! Let us know if there's any paperwork
you need us to help submit for your participation.

Best
Andrew
-
Post by Aditya
Mahout implements along with its documentation and what algorithms are
planned to be implemented soon?
The main web page just lists down the names.
Thanks,
Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Aditya
Hello everyone!
I'm a senior year computer science student from Birla Institute of
Technology and Science, India. I have experience in fields like
Data
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Mining
Post by Aditya
and Machine Learning. Apart from doing basic coursework which
included
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Data
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Aditya
Post by Trevor Grant
Post by Aditya
Aditya
Andrew Musselman
2017-03-01 07:14:25 UTC
Okay, is it something we need to ask them to help with?
who are handling gsoc intreciacies centrally for all ASF projects.
--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail
gesendet.
Isabel Drost-Fromm
2017-03-01 09:11:24 UTC
Disclaimer: Last time I mentored is years ago.

Back then the ASF applied as a whole to be accepted as organisation for
GSoC. I remember Uli Stärk explaining once to me some of the paperwork
required from the "OSS project side". Upon acceptance, Google granted
several dozen slots for students, those were then distributed across
projects. The exact process should be on the com dev page here:

http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Isabel
Andrew Musselman
2017-03-01 23:00:20 UTC
Aditya, could you go through the page Isabel noted above (
http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html) and let us know what help you need
applying or moving the process forward?

Thanks!
Post by Isabel Drost-Fromm
Disclaimer: Last time I mentored is years ago.
Back then the ASF applied as a whole to be accepted as organisation for
GSoC. I remember Uli StÀrk explaining once to me some of the paperwork
Isabel
Andrew Musselman
Isabel
Aditya
2017-03-07 15:06:54 UTC
Hello Andrew,

With respect to the application process for Google Summer of Code, once you
guys are sure that I'll be able to contribute to the community on something
meaningful during summer. I'll be drafting a proposal (with guidance from
someone from Mahout) detailing the timeline and the plan of action. I guess
the mentor will be decided based on what my contribution is going to be.
I'm sorry for the delay in replying. It has been a crazy week for me in
terms of my thesis. I'll take some time and look through the framework and
try to get some hands on experience by contributing to a bug fix / an
existing issue in Jira.

I had a question though, do I submit the application proposal to someone
from Mahout? or is there a centralized process for ASF as a whole.

PS: With respect to help from your side, it would be a mentor willing to
mentor me through the summer as I work. I will talk to Saikat and see of
what use I can be in the Generalized Linear Model that has been proposed.

Best Regards,
Aditya
Post by Andrew Musselman
Also would probably be good to subscribe to the community list by sending
Isabel
Andrew Musselman
2017-03-09 16:43:10 UTC
Aditya, Shannon Quinn is a committer who mentioned he'd be happy to mentor
you this season.

Thanks again for reaching out; let him know where you are in the process
and let's get you up and running.

Best
Andrew
Hello Aditya,
Welcome to Mahout!
Here is some information on GSoC requirements [1]. While Mahout has
participated in the GSoC before, please note that you must find a committer
on the Mahout project who will have the bandwidth to be a good mentor to
you. My suggestion would be to start with this step.
Hope this helps,
Andy
[1] https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
Apache Community Development - GSoC<https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
community.apache.org
Google is sponsoring the 2016 Summer of Code and The Apache Software
Foundation (ASF) has been accepted as a mentoring organization. This page
is your entry point to ...
________________________________
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:06:54 AM
To: Andrew Musselman
Subject: Re: Contributing to Apache Mahout via Google Summer of Code 2017
[...]
Isabel
Shannon Quinn
2017-03-10 14:37:39 UTC
Hi Aditya,

Looking forward to working with you! Please feel free to contact me
directly and we'll get you up and running.

Shannon
Isabel
Aditya

Isabel
Aditya
2017-03-15 01:55:23 UTC
Hi Andrew,

I sent an email to ***@community.apache.org asking if there would be a
problem if I apply for a GSoC in Apache Mahout even though the ideas list
page does not contain any issue related to Mahout. I went on to mention
that as far I my knowledge goes, organizations often encourage students who
propose a new idea other than those already listed. I also emailed Trevor
and Shannon personally.

I am waiting for their replies. is everyone busy with the 0.13 version
release?

Regards,
Aditya.
Isabel
Andrew Musselman

Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:06:54 AM
To: Andrew Musselman
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Aditya
Post by Shannon Quinn
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
need applying or moving the process forward?
Thanks!
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <
Post by Aditya
Post by Shannon Quinn
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman