[VOTE] Apache Mahout 0.13.0 Release Candidate
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-11 15:55:09 UTC
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.

The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be closed on Friday,
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding votes (whichever
occurs earlier). Please download, test and vote with

[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of Apache Mahout
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of Apache Mahout,
because...

Maven staging repo:

*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-1042/org/apache/mahout/apache-mahout-distribution/0.13.0/

The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-11 16:05:39 UTC
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with passing tests for
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.

The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala example in the binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get exercised when
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all cores on the CPU get
exercised when running the viennacl-omp profile from source.

So far I'm +1 (binding).

Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 02:48:13 UTC
Is it a regression or were they missing before, do you know?
bin
mahout-integration-0.13.0.jar
conf mahout-math-0.13.0.jar derby.log
mahout-math-scala_2.10-0.13.0.jar docs
mahout-mr-0.13.0.jar examples
mahout-mr-0.13.0-job.jar flink
mahout-spark_2.10-0.13.0-dependency-reduced.jar h2o
mahout-spark_2.10-0.13.0.jar lib
metastore_db LICENSE.txt NOTICE.txt
mahout-examples-0.13.0.jar README.md mahout-examples-0.13.0-job.jar
viennacl mahout-hdfs-0.13.0.jar viennacl-omp
________________________________
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 03:06:29 UTC
Okay consider this vote cancelled.
mvn -Pmahout-release,apache-release,viennacl,hadoop2 release:prepare
doesn't seem to have activated the viennacl profile
________________________________
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:58:16 PM
off the top of my head i dont know if it is a regression. My guess is
that they were missing before. I think that this may have something to do
with activating the profile -Pviennacl at release time.
________________________________
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 03:30:42 UTC
FYI

The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Suneel Marthi
2017-04-13 14:33:49 UTC
Specifically what's the issue, some profile not kicking in or being
shadowed ? i can take a look later tonight.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Andrew Musselman <
Post by Andrew Musselman
Does anyone know anyone on the Maven project or who understands the fine
points of making things like this works?
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Stevo Slavić
2017-04-13 14:47:11 UTC
If I understood problem and goal well:
- module with native code has to be included in the release
-- module version change only and I guess documentation published but
-- excluding every other plugin like compilation, packaging binary/jar etc.
and
-- distribution module should include sources of module with native code too
- it should be possible from sources (git and release sources distribution,
for maintainers and lib users respectively) to build everything including
their own jar of native module for given target architecture.

This is not easy to achieve with Maven.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 15:30:20 UTC
I don't understand it fully, but I believe having a binary vanilla
(non-viennacl, non-viennacl-omp) build and source build that will allow
users to build for the viennacl or viennacl-omp profiles will suffice.

There is an extra vienna-omp block in the vienna profile in
distribution/pom.xml that I doubt should be there, but Andy should know
better.

We can set up a hangout if that will be quicker to get on the same page.

Thanks Suneel and Stevo.
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be closed
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Suneel Marthi
2017-04-13 15:32:21 UTC
I think i kind'a understand what's going on, but best to cross check - on
flights today - will only be available late night

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all cores on
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 15:59:29 UTC
I'll look for you online later today for the hangout.

Is there a reason we have the project.version only in the viennacl-omp
artifact block for the viennacl profile?
Yes, We have 2 new modules each which builds with a profile `viennacl` and
`viennacl-omp`
- the `viennacl` profile builds for both modules `viennacl` and
`viennacl-omp`
- we are trying to build and release for both modules
- yesterday Andrew and I (without my keys in .m2 to ensure I didnt writ
over anything) both tried to do this with
`mvn -Pmahout-release,apache-release,viennacl,hadoop2 release:prepare
release:perform`
After doing that, the release came up with out the jars for both new
- mahout-native-viennacl_2.10-0.13.0.jar the GPU viennacl jar
- mahout-native-viennacl-omp_2.10-0.13.0.jar the OpenMP jar.
With the -Pviennacl the binary (locally) is for _both_GPU and OpenMP, the
source tree of the whole project allows for a build with both.
Thank you guys for looking Andrew mentioned a hangout i'd be for that as
well.
Thanks,
Andy
________________________________
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:32:21 AM
To: mahout
Post by Andrew Musselman
Okay consider this vote cancelled.
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 8:02 PM Andrew Palumbo <
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with passing
tests
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
for
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.
The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala example
in
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
the
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get
exercised
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
when
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all cores on
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-13 16:02:30 UTC
I'll leave the artifacts up there in case that helps troubleshooting,
otherwise let me know and I'll drop them.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with passing
tests
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
for
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.
The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala example
in
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
the
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get
exercised
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
when
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all cores
on
Post by Andrew Musselman
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1
binding
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:32:21 AM
To: mahout
Post by Andrew Musselman
I don't understand it fully, but I believe having a binary vanilla
(non-viennacl, non-viennacl-omp) build and source build that will allow
users to build for the viennacl or viennacl-omp profiles will suffice.
There is an extra vienna-omp block in the vienna profile in
distribution/pom.xml that I doubt should be there, but Andy should know
better.
We can set up a hangout if that will be quicker to get on the same
page.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Thanks Suneel and Stevo.
Post by Stevo Slavić
- module with native code has to be included in the release
-- module version change only and I guess documentation published but
-- excluding every other plugin like compilation, packaging
binary/jar
Post by Andrew Musselman
etc.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Does anyone know anyone on the Maven project or who understands
the
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
fine
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:48:13 PM
Is it a regression or were they missing before, do you know?
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 7:42 PM Andrew Palumbo <
It looks like we're missing some jars from the binary
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with passing
tests
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
for
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.
The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala
example in
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
the
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get
exercised
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
when
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all cores
on
Post by Andrew Musselman
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1
binding
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Suneel Marthi
2017-04-14 17:07:38 UTC
u can roll this back, i see the issue.

and shuld have a PR fix.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 12:31 AM, Andrew Musselman <
Post by Andrew Musselman
If we can get a quorum tomorrow morning Pacific let's get whoever can join
on a hangout; I'll keep an eye on this thread and set up a hangout when we
have a good time.
Post by Andrew Musselman
[...]
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
well.
Thanks,
Andy
________________________________
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:32:21 AM
To: mahout
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
better.
We can set up a hangout if that will be quicker to get on the same
page.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Thanks Suneel and Stevo.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
-- excluding every other plugin like compilation, packaging
binary/jar
Post by Andrew Musselman
etc.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Does anyone know anyone on the Maven project or who understands
the
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
fine
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with passing
tests
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
for
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.
The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala
example in
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
the
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get
exercised
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
when
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all
cores
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
on
Post by Andrew Musselman
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1
binding
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Andrew Musselman
occurs earlier). Please download, test and vote with
[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Mahout
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release
of
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-14 17:16:14 UTC
Okay rolling back now.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
the source tree of the whole project allows for a build with both.
Thank you guys for looking Andrew mentioned a hangout i'd be for that
as
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
well.
Thanks,
Andy
________________________________
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:32:21 AM
To: mahout
I think i kind'a understand what's going on, but best to cross check
-
Post by Andrew Musselman
on
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
better.
We can set up a hangout if that will be quicker to get on the same
page.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Thanks Suneel and Stevo.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
-- excluding every other plugin like compilation, packaging
binary/jar
Post by Andrew Musselman
etc.
Post by Stevo Slavić
and
-- distribution module should include sources of module with
native
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
code
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
their own jar of native module for given target architecture.
This is not easy to achieve with Maven.
Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Does anyone know anyone on the Maven project or who
understands
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
the
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
fine
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache Mahout 0.13.0 Release
Candidate
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
I've checked hashes and sigs, and run a build with
passing
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
tests
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
for
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
vanilla, viennacl, and viennacl-omp profiles.
The spark shell runs the SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala
example in
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
the
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
binary
build and all three source profiles; I saw the GPU get
exercised
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
when
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
running the viennacl profile from source, and saw all
cores
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
on
Post by Andrew Musselman
the
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
CPU
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will
be
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
closed
Post by Stevo Slavić
on
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Friday,
Post by Andrew Musselman
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1
binding
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
votes
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
(whichever
Post by Andrew Musselman
occurs earlier). Please download, test and vote with
[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of
Apache
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Mahout
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0
release
Post by Andrew Musselman
of
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Stevo Slavić
Apache
Post by Suneel Marthi
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Mahout,
Post by Andrew Musselman
because...
*
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
<
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
Post by Andrew Musselman
*
The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-14 20:49:34 UTC
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.

The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be closed on Monday,
April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding votes (whichever
occurs earlier). Please download, test and vote with

[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of Apache Mahout
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.13.0 release of Apache Mahout,
because...

Note if you get a segfault running the binary version you may need to build
from source with the viennacl profile like so:

mvn clean install -Pviennacl,hadoop2 -DskipTests=true

Maven staging repo:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-1043/org/apache/mahout/apache-mahout-distribution/0.13.0

The git tag to be voted upon is mahout-0.13.0.
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-15 02:38:06 UTC
Yeah I ripped it out today.

Can put it back, or we can have this patch in the release notes and get a
.1 release out in a couple weeks.

I'm eager to ship this, if that would work let me know.
replacing the
${project.version}
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.mahout</groupId>
<artifactId>mahout-native-viennacl-omp_${scala.compat.version}</artifactId>
<version>${project.version}</version>
</dependency>
of distribution/pom.xml seems to fix this error. (for the OpenMp build at
least)
I'm not sure how it was left out- the last commit before the release
https://github.com/apache/mahout/commit/059226746276a263f85d5c81d8173123ce81d45d
adds it back in after experimenting with its removal. but after the
release commits it is missing again.
Or It possibly was only replaced in one profile, not both.
________________________________
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:09:39 PM
I will continue looking.
________________________________
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:09:06 PM
mvn clean install -Pviennacl -Phadoop2 -DskipTests.
Everything built and tested as expected.
mvn clean install -Pviennacl -Phadoop2 -DskipTests && mvn test
$ mvn clean install -Pviennacl-omp -Phadoop2 -DskipTests && mvn test
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[ERROR] 'dependencies.dependency.version' for
org.apache.mahout:apache-mahout-distribution:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/distribution/pom.xml,
line 156, column 21
org.apache.mahout:mahout-math-scala_${scala.compat.version}:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/math-scala/pom.xml,
line 30, column 15
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
org.apache.mahout:mahout-spark_${scala.compat.version}:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/spark/pom.xml, line
30, column 15
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
org.apache.mahout:mahout-h2o_${scala.compat.version}:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/h2o/pom.xml, line 30,
column 15
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
org.apache.mahout:mahout-native-viennacl-omp_${scala.compat.version}:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/viennacl-omp/pom.xml,
line 30, column 15
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.(groupId:artifactId)' must be unique but
org.apache.mahout:mahout-native-viennacl-omp_${scala.compat.version}:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/viennacl-omp/pom.xml,
line 179, column 15
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
@
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] The project org.apache.mahout:apache-mahout-distribution:0.13.0
(/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/distribution/pom.xml)
has 1 error
[ERROR] 'dependencies.dependency.version' for
org.apache.mahout:apache-mahout-distribution:[unknown-version],
/home/andy/sandbox/apache-mahout-distribution-0.13.0/distribution/pom.xml,
line 156, column 21
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the
-e switch.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException
This must be why we had {project.version} included.
________________________________
Andrew Musselman

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:09:39 PM
I will continue looking.
________________________________
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:09:06 PM
mvn clean install -Pviennacl -Phadoop2 -DskipTests.
Everything built and tested as expected.
mvn clean install -Pviennacl -Phadoop2 -DskipTests && mvn test
$ mvn clean install -Pviennacl-omp -Phadoop2 -DskipTests && mvn test
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[WARNING] The expression ${version} is deprecated. Please use
[ERROR] 'dependencies.dependency.version' for org.apache.mahout:mahout-native-viennacl-omp_2.10:jar
[...]
found duplicate declaration of plugin org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin
@ org.apache.mahout:mahout-native-viennacl-omp_${scala.
compat.version}:[unknown-version], /home/andy/sandbox/apache-
mahout-distribution-0.13.0/viennacl-omp/pom.xml, line 179, column 15
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-15 05:25:51 UTC

*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-1044/org/apache/mahout/apache-mahout-distribution/0.13.0

Andrew Musselman
2017-04-15 06:48:17 UTC
Hashes and sigs confirmed, bin and src (viennacl and viennacl-omp)
artifacts run the spark shell and the sparse drm test fine, and kick off
the GPU.

+1 (binding)

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Andrew Musselman <
Post by Andrew Musselman
This is the vote for release 0.13.0 of Apache Mahout.
The vote will be going for at least 72 hours and will be closed on
Monday, April 17th, 2017 or once there are at least 3 PMC +1 binding votes
Trevor Grant
2017-04-17 00:44:59 UTC
+1 (binding)

Judicial Opinion:

Verified Signatures

Built with `mvn clean package -Phadoop2` ; `mvn clean package -Phadoop2
-Pviennacl-omp` ; `mvn clean package -Phadoop2 -DskipTests` (see below)
For all builds, ran `spark item similarity` example with no issue, `wiki`
example fails with non-mahout related file not found errors. need JIRA to
update file path- as this is an example where the functionality is non
related to Mahout, i find this non blocking bc it is likely all of the
prior releases are now also broken (that is, if we had released this a
month ago, the release would still now be broken)

For viennacl, the build fails on the `sparse mmul microbench test`. I have
two machines, both fail. Both have older graphics cards (specs below). On
the older of the two, I am able to make something very similar to the test
pass in the shell if I set `s=625` (using `timeSparseDRMMMul`). This
implies that the functionality is sound, but my cards simply aren't new
enough to pass the test. I recommend opening a JIRA to tune down the
aggressiveness of the test- e.g. making `s=500` (currently `s=1000`).

This recommendation is based on 1) my cards aren't _that_ old and 2) I
don't want to buy new graphics cards just to pass unit tests.
(Included CPU arch for reference wrt OMP)

Dev Box:

NVidia GeForce GT 740
Driver Version: 352.63
Memory: 1021MiB

ViennaCL v 1.7.0

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @3.50 Ghz (Ivy Bridge Micro Arch- 3rd Gen)

Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Laptop:
NVidia GeForce GTX 960M
Driver Version: 367.57
Memory: 2002MiB

CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.40 Ghz (Broadwell-U Micro arch - 5th Gen)

ViennaCL v 1.7.0

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things." -Virgil*
Post by Andrew Musselman
+1 (binding)
Built and tested source distribution with both profiles -Pviennacl and
-Pviennacl-omp.
Ran SparseSparseDrmTimer.mscala through the shell in both pseudo cluster
and local[2] mode
timeSparseDRMMMul(1000,1000,1000,5,.2,1234L)
Mostly with out issue in a consumer grade card.
Note: in the shell after the %*% is called by a partition and the GPU is
in use, will get a native failure exception which is caught and allows for
MMul of that partition to fall back to JVM MMul (single-threaded).. this
should be changed in 0.13.1 to fall back to OpenMP MMul.
Note: Binary distribution is built for Tesla GPUs. My card was not
compatible, though out target is higher end GPUs on AWS or PowerPC (PowerPC
uses teslas) so not a blocker IMO.
We will target a wider range of cards in the next distributions.
________________________________
Andrew Musselman
2017-04-17 03:48:46 UTC
With three binding +1s and no -1 or 0 votes this vote PASSES.

I'll publish the artifacts and ask people to pitch in to some post-release
tasks.

Andy, do you have a link to some release notes we can help with so we can
send out an announcement?

Thanks all for the hard work and persistence in the final steps. This is a
good one, happy to see things come together.

Best
Andrew
+1 (binding)