[DISCUSS] Remove Mahout MapReduce and MapReduce Basics from Nav Bar
Trevor Grant
2017-07-25 22:01:12 UTC
+1
I'd like to propose that we remove "Mahout MapReduce" and "MapReduce"
Basics from the mahout.apache.org nav bar, Keeping all content either
hidden so that all current blog links remain intact, or under e.g.: a
"Hadoop-Legacy" tab.
I believe (and have had some feedback on this) that many people find this
very confusiong.
As well, Our transition away from Hadoop MapReduce to the engine neutral
platform is complete.
I personally prefer something like "Hadoop-Legacy"
--andy
Trevor Grant
2017-08-01 13:48:20 UTC
I'd also move to remove "Integration" which claims to be "Optional
components of Mahout which generally support interaction with third party
systems,
formats, APIs, etc." but seems to be mainly related to the MR stuff.
Though we'd need to go through it with a comb. Maybe push it off to an
optional build (like the Flink bindings).

In general I think there is a LOT of opportunity for liposuction, but the
old code is interesting, parking it somewhere else in the code base would
be preferred. Perhaps an entire "Legacy" Module and child modules to keep
it organized?
--andy
Andrew Musselman